Construction of the new Arts Building requires a number of changes to where buses, parents and students will be parking on campus this school year. These changes include:
- The road past the new Arts Building up to the Davenport House will be closed to all traffic. It will not be available for parents to pick up or drop off students as in the past. Instead parents may drop off Lower School students in front of the 5th grade classroom. (Please do not leave your vehicle parked there, as it must accomodate a number of parents dropping off students.)
- The buses will drop off Middle and Upper School students in their usual location in front of the Middle School. However, Lower School students will be dropped off in the morning along the sidewalk by the Little Gym and the Errol Schmidt Athletic Center (ESAC).
- This location (sidewalk by Little Gym & ESAC) is also where all students will board the buses after school instead of on the road below the Davenport House.
- The parking lot used by Juniors (on the right after crossing the stream) will be reserved for visitors and construction vehicles only. Parents may also park in this lot if there is space and walk their students to the Lower School.
- The Juniors and Sophomores will park at the far end of the ESAC parking lot. They should allow extra time to walk to the Upper School so as not to be late for classes.
- See a printable version of the Campus Map with all of these changes identified in yellow.
If you are driving on campus, please allow extra time during the first weeks of school for parking. School personnel will be visible before and after school to help guide everyone to the new parking and pick up locations. Thank you for your patience!
Rick Petrini's Outdoor Math summer camp explored the fun of mathematics around the SGS campus the week of August 12-16. See photo galleries of them using triangulation and tape measures to calculate the Height of Trees around Graduation Lawn, as well as Racing Boats made of various shapes of aluminum foil in the stream running through campus.
Students in grades 6-12 can order lunches for four days out of the week - Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday. You can now sign up for Fall Semester Lunches (Sept. 3 to Dec. 19, 2019). Lunches are $6.00 each, and the cost will be billed to your student account. The deadline for sign ups is Wednesday, August 28.
We have replaced Subway with Panera this year. In addition to sandwich choices (tuna, turkey, and ham & swiss), we are also offering mac & cheese, soup (chicken noodle or broccoli cheddar) and salads (Greek, mixed greens, or Caesar) from Panera on Wednesdays.
You may choose from just one day of lunches up to all four days in any combination, but every day will be the same choice and you are ordering for the entire session. For instance, if you choose Orange Chicken for Tuesday, that is what you will get every Tuesday. Please also note that there are no refunds for any reason, including missed lunches due to absences or field trips. We cannot accept any cancellations or changes after Sept 13, 2019. Refer to the Lunch Calendar on the website for details.
If you would like to take advantage of the Secondary School lunch program, please complete and submit this Online Order Form by 3pm, August 28. Thank you!
SGS parent and student forms on PowerSchool are now due. Check your packet of Back to School documents for a personalized checklist of forms to be filled out by parents and students. Most of the forms are available online in PowerSchool for both parents and students (grades 6-12) to fill out. Please submit all of these forms and mail back (or drop off at campus) any paper forms in your packet immediately. Many of these forms are required before classes begin next week!
The May Term Habitat Class spent several days working around and inside a house under construction in Deer Park in a neighborhood of Habitat homes. They also spent a day at the local Habitat Store helping to clean up and paint tables (and each other). See photos of their work at the Habitat House and in the Habitat Store.
Joe and Tina Kennedy are opening their Barrels Wine Bar on Mercer Island to all SGS alumni to enjoy libations and conversations from 4-8pm on Saturday, July 27. Plan to join other Dragons for a fun get together; no RSVP required. Read More about their retirement dream business and get directions to Barrels.
The Middle School's Celebration of the Arts on Friday, May 10 included songs by the 6th grade and the play "The Trial of the Big Bad Wolf" by the 7th and 8th graders. See "Junior High" sung by the 6th grade girls and a Photo Gallery of the 7th-8th grade drama in Founders Theater. To order a DVD of all the students on stage, fill out and send in the MS Musical DVD Order Form on the SGS website.